This is a rare Australian Sampler
Emily Elizabeth Trump was born in the Maitland area of NSW Australia on 17th August 1858. Her Mother was Mary Ann Cox and her Father was listed on the birth certificate as Trump. There is no record of Mary Ann marrying a Mr Trump, nor ever changing her surname legally from Cox to Trump.
Emily grew up in and around Maitland, stitching this sampler at age 13 in 1872. Soon after, her mother married Charles Cobby. Her birth certificate was updated to list Charles as her father, and she began using his surname.
Emily married William George Tooze on 6 March 1876 in the Registry Office West Maitland and they had 10 children.
Emily died on 14th June 1929 and is buried at the Campbell’s Hill Cemetery in Telarah, near Maitland.
Stitch Count: 119 stitches wide by 180 stitches high
Model: The model was stitch on 40 count Regency by Picture This Plus (www.picturethisplus.com) using one strand of overdyed thread over two threads.
With 7cm (3”) framing allowance the linen is 30cm x 37cm (12” x 15”)
Threads provided by The Gentle Art (www.thegentleart.com)
Model Stitched by: Jenny Born
Threads Used (with suggested DMC and Au Ver A Soie Soie D’Alger Alternatives)
- The Gentle Art Sampler Threads 0390 Buckeye Scarlet (DMC 347 or AVAS 2916)
- The Gentle Art Sampler Threads 0540 Brandy (DMC 436 or AVAS 4235)
- The Gentle Art Sampler Threads 1110 Sable (DMC 3021 or AVAS 3846)
- The Gentle Art Sampler Threads 1180 Fudge Ripple (DMC 3863 or AVAS 3433)
- The Gentle Art Sampler Threads 7045 Mountain Mist (DMC 522 or AVAS 3723)
- The Gentle Art Sampler Threads 7079 Heirloom Gold (DMC 829 or AVAS 526)
- Cross Stitch